In cooperation with Erasmus University Rotterdam

At this time we only take registrations from international students at Erasmus University.

At this time we only take registrations from international students at Erasmus University.

International students at Erasmus University can register with us. Patients with international health insurance can only sign up at our Kralingen practice.


New registrations open every
last week of the month

Please use the online form to register and make sure to
upload your student number and proof of international
health insurance.


FAQ & General Information

Are you an international student at Erasmus University and looking for more information on how you can make use of Dutch Healthcare with Jans Huisartsen? Find information on the most important topics in the FAQ.

No, currently we are only accepting patients that study at the Erasmus University.

No, currently we are only accepting patients that study at the Erasmus University.

If you are a student from the Erasmus University and have an Insured to Study or AON insurance, then you can register at Jans Huisartsen Rotterdam Kralingen.

If you are a student from the Erasmus University and have a European then you can register at Jans Huisartsen Rotterdam Kralingen. We arrange the declaration for you.

Unfortunately not, if you have international health insurance you can only register at our practice in Kralingen.

The Netherlands has nationwide preventive health programs including population screenings for diseases such as breast, cervical and colon cancer. In addition, there are screening options available for people at risk for certain disease such as cardiovascular, pulmonary or sexually transmitted diseases. Ask your GP about nation-wide preventative health programs and services. A general check-up is not commonly conducted, but you are of course welcome to discuss any specific concerns with your doctor.

Unfortunately, we do not currently provide travel vaccinations. Travel vaccinations are provided by the municipal health service (GGD), vaccination clinics and some other GP practices.

We will never share your medical information with your employer, university or college.

Yes, completely private. The consultations are conducted in a private room with just yourself and the doctor.

Yes. During your appointment, your GP will assess if you need a prescription. Once you have confirmed your preferred pharmacy (apotheek) with your doctor, your pharmacist will receive a digital prescription from Jans Huisartsen.

Our priority is always to provide safe care for our patients. Lots of commonly prescribed medications require monitoring to ensure they are working well and there are no side effects. Side effects do not always have symptoms and so blood tests or other monitoring tests may be required.

Antibiotics are medications that are effective in treating bacterial infections. Many common problems, including coughs, colds and sore throats, are usually caused by viruses and antibiotics do not work against viruses.If your GP has not prescribed you antibiotics, they will have discussed with you what to watch for, and when you might need to be reassessed if your problem is not improving.

In order to obtain a Dutch healthcare insurance policy, you need to complete the following steps:

Make sure you are eligible for a Dutch health insurance policy Register with the municipality Compare different health insurance policies Choose and apply for a health insurance policy online.

Obtain a residents permit at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). In order to apply for such a permit you need the following documents:

  • A legal and certified copy of your birth certificate
  • Document(s) that prove you have a permanent place to live in The Netherlands
  • A legal and valid passport

After successful registration at the IND, you can go to the city hall, register yourself as a new resident and you will then receive a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer, BSN). With this number, you can compare and select your own basic Dutch healthcare insurance policy and if desired, any supplementary health cover packages.

All Dutch healthcare insurance companies must offer the basic health care cover package (basisverzekering). This basic package contains most medical coverage required including:

  • Visits and treatment by a GP
    Pharmaceuticals (prescribed by your GP)
  • Medical care, operations and other treatments performed by doctors and physicians, such as cardiologists, dermatologists, surgeons, etc.
  • Physiotherapy for people with certain chronic diseases
  • Psychological healthcare (with reference from your GP)
  • Hospital care
  • Pregnancy and birth care
  • Emergency transport by ambulance
  • Occupational therapy
  • Dietary advice
  • Emergency medical treatment abroad, according to Dutch standards

Please note that each of the above items will have their requirements and possible limitations regarding financial compensation. Sometimes the basic cover does not suffice, for example, for:

  • Dental care
  • Physiotherapy
  • Alternative healing
  • Optical eye care

If you need these types of healthcare, you may refer to private supplemental insurance packages.

Although, the content of a basic Dutch healthcare insurance policy is the same with every insurer, the monthly fee, service, excess (deductible) and available choice of health care providers can vary depending on the chosen health insurance company and policy.

Therefore, it is recommended that you compare Dutch healthcare insurance companies on their monthly fee and policy.

The monthly premium for a basic health insurance policy is approximately €110 – €120 for adults. If you opt for a higher level of excess (eigen risico) this premium will be lower.If you opt for supplementary health insurance, you will be charged for this as well.

Information on this platform aims to meet your needs as an international student.Does it? Is it clear? What information is lacking?

Are you planning to work and/or do an internship whilst studying in The Netherlands? Here’s how you can find out whether you need to apply for a Dutch health insurance policy. Dutch healthcare insurance is required for international students:

  • When you study in The Netherlands, and you also have a (part-time) job or an internship with a minimum wage salary
  • When you study in The Netherlands, and you have a zero-hour (casual) working contract

You are not eligible for a Dutch health insurance policy in The Netherlands if:

  • You are in The Netherlands for study purposes only
  • You are on an orientation year with a search visa
  • You are from outside of the EU/EEA and have not received a letter from the Immigration Service (IND) confirming you will be given a residence permit

In this case you should apply for private student health insurance for medical cover during your stay in The Netherlands.

If you are doing an internship, traineeship or PhD for which you are being paid (even if it’s minimum wage), you are obligated to obtain a Dutch health insurance policy. Any expenses paid for by your sponsor are regarded as remuneration for your internship, for example, if your employer or university pays for your housing.If you are paid less than minimum wage, and your stay in The Netherlands is temporary, you will normally not be eligible for a Dutch health insurance policy, and you could opt for a private health insurance policy.

You are legally not allowed to take out a Dutch public health insurance policy if you are in The Netherlands for study purposes only. Make sure you have health insurance from your home country with adequate coverage or take out a private health insurance.

If you are aged 30 years or older and your stay in The Netherlands is permanent (i.e., you have finished your studies and are planning to stay permanently), you will be required to choose a Dutch health insurance provider.

When you are not from the EU/EEA or Switzerland and if you are planning to study for more than three months in The Netherlands, it is highly recommended that you get a private or international health insurance policy. There are several health insurance providers that offer international healthcare insurance for foreigners that are going to do their bachelor’s or master’s in The Netherlands, including Allianz, Aon, and ISI. Please refer to their websites for more detailed information and quotes.

You can use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for medical care if you are from within the EU/European Economic Area (EEA) and are in The Netherlands only temporarily for study purposes.EU, EEA countries and Switzerland have agreements and treaties with The Netherlands about medical coverage. That is why students from within the EU/EEA can usually keep their home country insurance policy.It is important to make sure that your home country insurance policy covers the necessary medical care in the Netherlands and that they can issue an EHIC to you.

Some national health insurers in EU-countries will only cover the costs of your healthcare in another country for a limited time.Moreover, most national health insurers only cover up to health tariffs applicable in your home country. Hence, it is highly recommended that you check whether your home country insurance policy provides full health cover in the Netherlands during your entire stay. Otherwise, you may need to arrange extra international cover.